Authors from US, the Netherlands, and Spain have published a practical guide for the adoption of AI technologies in Marketing, following the data science standard CRISP-DM. The paper was published in California Management Review (CMR) in July 2019, one of the most relevant publications in management (impact factor of 5.0).
CMR also published a blog entry about the publication and a brilliant promo video:
In a nutshell, the authors point out that artificial intelligence works best when it is applied in careful steps:
- Define a clear business objective.
- Collect and sort an enormous amount of raw data.
- Choose the data for your project, and organize it into a digitally digestible format.
- Create a program that models how a human would use this data to reach the business objective defined in step one.
- Evaluate the outcome to see if the AI application has met the objective defined in step one.
- Deploy the AI application.